Saturday, May 15, 2010

Somewhere in Time

Last week the boys and I took what I'm calling my "Valley Nostalgia Tour 2010." After lunch with three lovely ladies whom I used to work with (back in the day when I used an alarm clock and didn't wear the same pair of pants two days in a row), we stopped off at the church where Brendan and I were married (and where I went to school until age nine) and my childhood home, which I hadn't seen in...well, I honestly don't remember. Well over a decade. Not only did I want to take a walk down the proverbial Memory Lane, I was intent upon attempting a photo assignment.

I recently discovered a group on Flickr called Looking Into the Past. Here's the link, if you're interested: www.flickr.com/groups/lookingintothepast.

The gist is this: you take a old picture to the exact spot where it was originally taken, hold it up in front of your camera, line everything up the best you can, and take a picture showing the old photo and current location combined into one trippy view. Some people actually morph their pictures using Photoshop, but I think the coolest pictures are the ones where you actually see the picture held up to the camera by the photographer.

I made my first attempt at this technique at the church, which, sadly, has seen better days. I recently discovered that it's closing its doors after over 60 years. But a new church is coming in, one that sounds like it could either be a church or a rehab facility. Not that there's anything wrong with either churches or rehab facilities. Anyway, a lot of the landmarks that were there when we got married (trees, shrubs, even some walls) were gone. But after several tries, I did manage to get this:


Of all the pictures I took, this one lines up the best (note the doors in the background). I also like it because it has Evan's stroller off to the side. The original photo is one of my favorite prints from our wedding. It was taken about a minute (maybe less) after we exited the church and was--as you could guess--not posed. It makes me happy.

Here's another picture from out in front of the church. I couldn't line up anything here since someone decided to mow down all the trees. But at least it's the same spot:

Our next stop was the house where I spent my early childhood. Wow. I couldn't believe how much had changed, but yet, at the same time, being there felt the same way it did when I was a kid. I've come to the conclusion that there's a particularly unique feeling you get when you revisit a location known intimately to you as a child. When you perceive a place only through the filter of young eyes, the impression is a strange mix of reality and fantasy, and although it may look different (most often, smaller) as an adult, it feels so heavy with the weight of your past. I don't know if that made sense, but it's hard to even put this particular sensation into words. I'm sure the French have a simple, elegant word that means what I'm hopelessly trying to convey. Or the Germans. But their word probably has seventeen syllables. And it's capitalized.

So, this is a picture of my childhood home in the 1970s:


Here it is now:


And here's my attempt at creating a worm hole in the middle of the San Fernando Valley:


I like this one because if you look really closely at the old picture, there's a goofy old stroller. I'll take my mom's word for it that I'm in that stroller, next to our dog, Molly. I also like it because a very out-of-focus Nathan is sauntering off to the right side:


While the Spanish style of the house is painfully out-of-place considering the surrounding ranch-style homes, I was happy to see that the old homestead looked good. In fact, the entire cul-de-sac looked nice, which was a relief, since you never know what you're going to get in the Valley after 25 years. We took a short walk around the corner, and I was, however, tickled to see that the house we dubbed "Junkman Jack's House" when I was a kid still earns that moniker. Here's Nathan heading down the street I roamed 31,378 times when I was a little girl. I guess Memory Lane does exist, after all:

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I, too, could do an extensive blog/book on these photos. This house is still the one I dream about most to this day, and our family only lived there about 9 years, as compared to our current residence of 25 years' duration... and, if I may steal a quote..."the sweetest days." Yes, Memory Lane is a great place to visit. I have been taking a lot of trips there lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great Kristin. The first is probably my favorite, because it lines up so nicely, and because you can see Evan in it; it's like a strange time warp where we see you two just getting married along with one of the later "products" of that marriage. (Yes, I just referred to my nephew as a product.)

    Btw, you could have let Nathan take these pics and gotten some great closeups of bark. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this... the layers in the stream of time crossing over. Kristin did a fantastic job getting these pictures, taking moments that are in our hearts and minds forever, and giving them even more meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely wonderful memories and shots! It's amazing how fast everything changes, but you can still see them inside your head the way they were back in the old times. And it always feels like: "It happend only awhile ago!" Time really flies...

    ReplyDelete

Map of my Blog's Visitors