Monday, April 16, 2012

Carlsbad? More like Carlsgood!

OK, horrible pun. But, I have to admit, a great little city, at least from what we saw in the slightly-over-24-hours that we were there. Over spring break we finally actually went somewhere this year, and that somewhere was a whirlwind, overnight trip to Carlsbad where we visited Legoland, the Flower Fields, and the Museum of Making Music.

We had talked about going to Legoland for a while, never quite knowing if the boys were the "right" age for it. But after confirming with numerous sources that three (ahem, two, if someone at the front gate of Legoland asks!) and six are perfect ages. Yes, it was crowded. It took a half hour just to wait in line to park. But at the same time, it was fun, there was loads to see and do, and the weather could not have been more perfect. Evan wasn't tall enough to ride some of the rides, but thank goodness he's just a smidge over 36 inches tall, or he really wouldn't have been able to ride anything. As it was, he was fine for several of them. At one point, I took him to a little show while Nathan rode a bigger ride with Brendan. We found our cell phones to be absolutely invaluable, as we texted or called each once our separate activities were done.

Here's Ev on the little airplane ride, his first ever amusement park ride:


He loved it! And he even loved a small roller coaster we rode at the end of the day. Brendan had to hold onto him because he kept his hands waving in the air! And here's Nathan on another ride involving a very slow-moving horse:


Not super thrilling, but it put a smile on his face. Frankly, the little gem of the day was a tiny train tucked away behind a large playground. They rode it three or four times since there was basically no line:


Overall, Legoland is very well-done. When you stop to look at the sculptures created with Legos, it's quite impressive and fascinating. I mean, check out this view of the Las Vegas Strip, all in Legos:


We even squeezed in a quick trip to the Sea Life Aquarium (attached to Legoland), basically because it was cheaper to buy a ticket that included aquarium admission because of a coupon we had. We slipped in right before the park closed, but since it's not a huge aquarium, it didn't take long to see everything.

That evening, we crashed back at our hotel, which was very close to the park. Well, I say we "crashed," but frankly, none of us slept too well (not the hotel's fault--the beds were comfy and the room was perfectly fine). I'm a little embarrassed to say we all ate In-N-Out cheeseburgers in bed that night! The boys shared a bed, which was very cute, but certainly didn't help them to sleep well (Nathan kept rolling onto Evan during the night):


After stuffing ourselves at a nice continental breakfast in the morning, we headed to the Carlsbad Flower Fields, not far away from Legoland. Honestly, I can't write enough wonderful words to describe this heavenly place of rolling ranunculus fields (and other gardens). It may have been one of, if not the, most lovely place I've ever been. Really, a few pictures just begin to show its beauty:




Eventually, I had to tear myself away from this little Eden, but not before buying some ranunculus bulbs to take home for us and the grandparents. After these two busy, busy days, both boys fell asleep in the car, which gave me some time to shop. Why, you ask? Well, the Flower Fields are conveniently located right behind the Carlsbad Outlet shops. Yes! I limited myself to the Oshkosh B'Gosh store since I had a coupon in my email, and I got long-limbed Nathan a few new shorts and t-shirts. After that, we didn't feel like a big lunch, so we got Menchies frozen yogurt for a treat. Totally hit the spot.

We probably could have called it a trip right there, but someone we know recommended checking out the Museum of Making Music, again, right near Legoland. Here's a description from their web site, because I'm lazy: "Founded in 1998 by the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM), the Museum of Making Music was developed to showcase and celebrate the music products industry. Soon thereafter, in March 2000, the Museum was opened to the public. For over ten years, the Museum has provided opportunities for cultural enrichment while preserving our musical heritage through special exhibitions, innovative concerts and educational programs aimed toward a wide range of audiences." Long story short: there were lots of instruments from the last couple of centuries as well as a room that allowed you to try out instruments like guitars, keyboards, drums, and even a harp. The boys loved that:


So, one day and hundreds of pictures later, we headed home for a nice Easter weekend. But I have to say, I have a new respect for the hundreds of Legos in Nathan's room. Except when I step on them. And as for the Flower Fields? I think that has to be an annual tradition. The bulbs are calling my name...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Map of my Blog's Visitors