Last weekend, Brendan and I spend the better part of the day (a "day date," as we called it) at the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens in San Marino. We visited the Huntington when we were first married, but not since we had the boys. We had a great time indulging in one of our favorite hobbies: photography. This week Brendan discovered that the Huntington is not as old-fashioned and stuffy as you might think a historical library, art gallery and garden would be. They're active on Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter. We quickly submitted some of our favorite photos to their Flickr group.This week we each had a photo chosen as "Photo of the Day" on back-to-back days. We were both pretty tickled by that, but not nearly as tickled as I was when this morning I got on Facebook and discovered the second photo I submitted to their group was chosen as photo of the day today. Here it is:
They described my photo with this quote: "If you love roses, say 'I do!' With a nod to this morning's newlywed newsmakers, today's photo is a bouquet of blooms fit for a royal wedding."
Eek! I love it! Click here for the Flickr link, if you're interested. It's not like I had millions of photos to "compete" with. They only have 175 members of the group. But this photo, already a favorite from the moment I took it, will now have special meaning since it was given recognition on a very unique historical day.
Onto another royal wedding tidbit. And it's all about The Dress. I don't care if some people thought it was boring or unflattering or old-fashioned. I loved Kate's dress. Loved. Loved. Loved it. It was perfection. Come ON, people!

And maybe...just maybe part of the reason I loved it is that it bore a slight similarity to my own wedding dress from the dark ages of the last millennium.

No, I'm not being nauseating enough to suggest we were twins, or anything remotely close. There's no comparison: she's the most beautiful bride I think I've ever seen. But as you can see, the dresses have somewhat similar overall shapes, types of trains, bodices and long lacy sleeves. Of course, I laughed when I received an email from my mom this morning declaring that "other than the V-neck and a little extra train, Kate wore your dress." Ah, moms! It's those kinds of hyperbolic, ego-boosting statements that they're so good at.
Anyway. I just wanted to share a couple of personal stories about the royal wedding. And if you can't use your own blog to compare yourself to a princess, then what fun is having a blog?
Congratulations on your "Photo of the Day!"...lovely. Congratulations to the brides, both of them :-)...timeless beauty. Love, "Mum" and Dad.
ReplyDelete