Dear Nathan,
It’s your last day of being a five-year-old, and as I sit here for a moment on the eve of “big number six,” I thought I’d jot down some observations, achievements, and memories from this past year…it’s been a big one!
A year ago, as you turned five, we were weeks away from moving into our new house. It’s hard to believe it’s been almost a year that we’ve lived here; although, in a way, it feels like so much longer. You’ve really enjoyed our new home, especially the backyard. You and Evan have spent many, many hours making it your own private playground. It’s been a great area for riding bikes, hitting baseballs, digging in the dirt, eating popsicles, running through the sprinklers, finding bugs, playing hopscotch, drawing with chalk, playing with play dough, and, on one very special day, catching snowflakes on your tongue.
You really enjoy your room, too, and playing with all your favorite toys. You especially enjoy making “set-ups” with various figures: dinosaurs, Iron Man, Hot Wheels, pirates, etc. And dressing up in Darth Vader attire is still a good way to pass the time. You often get out your radio/CD player and blast music from one of your CDs. The “Shrek 4” soundtrack has been your favorite for a while.
If I had to think of one word that will always remind me of your fifth year it is this: kindergarten. You began your kindergarten year on August 12, 2010. I’ll admit that I was concerned about you going from a couple of short days of preschool each week to (usually) five full days of kindergarten. But Daddy and I were so happy when you adapted so well to your new routine. I will be forever grateful that you almost always came from and went to school with a smile. You enjoyed doing centers and playing at recess and lunch with your friends. But you especially liked the special activities you got to do at school: computer lab (where you learned about the Starfall web site), music class, library time, art, and special school assemblies. I was amazed at how you went from not reading a word to now being able to read your own birthday cards and books. When we drive down the street, you often read storefront signs and street names, and your reading skills get better each day. Soon you’ll be able to read all sorts of books on your own, especially books about your favorite subject: dinosaurs!
You made lots of new friends in kindergarten, and it was always nice to see you say “bye” to everyone in the afternoon when I went to pick you up. You made sure you used everyone’s name and gave them an enthusiastic sendoff for the day. You were invited to no fewer than six birthday parties, and you really enjoyed being with your classmates, as well as eating pizza and cake.
I volunteered in your classroom every Thursday morning (and some other days, too), and I saw that you listened to your teacher Mrs. Head and did your best at the tasks you were given in centers. Sometimes you didn’t always like every assignment, but you tried your hardest. You were especially interested in the assignments that involved creative writing and drawing.
When you were out of school, Evan was your little shadow. You both made up silly games and enjoyed watching cartoons together. It’s been hard learning how to share with Evan, especially since he doesn’t yet know how to share himself. But you both are learning, and I think he’s becoming more like you every day. You’ve been letting him read your books, play with your Hot Wheels, and sleep with your stuffed animals for a while now, and I know he loves that. You’ve told me on many occasions, “I love him soooo much.” And I can tell it’s true. I know he loves you and looks up to you, too. You’re blessed with the love of so many family members—not just Mommy, Daddy, and Evan, but also Grandma T and Papa, Grandma and Grandpa C, Uncle Matt, Aunt Shelley, Nana, Tata, Grandma Sam, and Grandpa Carl.
Daddy started working from home full-time a few months ago, and you’ve had the good fortune of being able to see him as soon as you come through the door from school each day. Daddy has helped you with your catching and hitting for t-ball. Your birthday tomorrow happens to be the day of your last game with the Pirates. It was your second season playing with the Chesebrough Park league, this time in Division Two. You made it to every practice and every game, and you always did it with a smile and a great “ready stance.” You’ve shown interest in starting basketball this year, too.
You’ve been looking forward to your sixth birthday for weeks, if not months, and now…it’s almost finally here! After your game tomorrow (to be topped off with pirate-themed cupcakes), you’ll be having a party with your friends at Sky City Bounce House, something you’ve wanted to do for a couple of years. Next weekend, we’ll have a little family pool party at Grandma and Grandpa C’s house. Because the best birthday celebrations are those that are stretched out.
I’m sure most moms have mixed feelings as another birthday passes. It’s fun to celebrate, see your child get older, and look ahead to new adventures. But in a way, it really does seem like almost yesterday that you were a drooling baby who didn’t like to eat his mashed yams and couldn’t seem to master the ability to put one foot in front of the other. As I put Evan in all your old toddler clothes, I can remember how you looked in each little outfit. Many still have stains on them from your meals (don’t tell Evan!). Sometimes I still see my “baby Nathan” when I look at you. But at the same time, Daddy and I are really proud of the boy you’ve become, a boy who is friendly, inquisitive, caring, enthusiastic, intelligent, opinionated yet cooperative, sensitive yet strong, and goofy yet thoughtful. You are our perfect Nathan, and we love you so much.
Happy sixth birthday, kiddo! Let the celebration begin…
Love,
Mommy
Dear Nathan,
ReplyDeleteOn the eve of your 6th birthday, I have a few thoughts too. You have always been very popular in our family. It seems like we have known you and loved you forever, a lot longer than 6 years! But, apparently you have won the hearts of many others. Mommy is right, you seem to have a lot of friends and you always make an effort to greet them by name, and always with a smile. I was lucky enough to escort you to a vacation-bible-school party this afternoon. Most of the kids did not know you as you had only been together for 5 days, but you were happy to see the few that you recognized (and, of course, greeted them by name). You have such a natural way of relating to people. You may not have noticed, but 3 of the teachers/assistants said, “Nathan was my favorite.” One lady said you were such a good reader. (She added that she was a 6th grade teacher.) Your mommy highlighted this past year so well. Yes, you have been such a terrific big brother to Evan. We have watched you include him in so many of your daily activities, and it is obvious how much he trusts you, looks up to you, and loves you too.
Oh, yes…we have a saying around here, “That’s so Nathan.” It’s that special thing you do in conversation – It’s hard to describe: You make an observation about a situation that is not only accurate and insightful, but often articulate beyond your years. For example, today you said, “I have a hypothesis…” The details are not important. The fact that you used the word hypothesis correctly raised all of our eyebrows. When I asked you what that word meant, you thought a while and then said, “It’s an idea that you have to test.” Well, I, too, have a hypothesis: Nathan, I know you will have a very successful and fun year ahead with lots of friends and family by your side.
Happy 6th birthday! We love you very much.
Grandma T and Papa.