But I always knew there was another book, another chapter, another session at Hogwarts to enjoy. It was surprising how bittersweet it felt to let go of this world and these characters. (And, seriously, Albus Severus? I can't even.)
On a personal note, I also recognized this as the end of a special time with my older son. We began reading the series several years ago. At the time, his reading level wasn't quite Harry Potter-level, so I read the first two books to him word for word. It. Took. Forever. But it was worth it. He became so enraptured in the books, that he insisted on reading the rest on his own, where he could go at his own pace (and he wouldn't have to endure my Hagrid accent). I never read the books when they first debuted, before I had kids, so each one was a new adventure for me, too. Although we read the books separately (with me going at an often annoying snail's pace), we always talked about the books together and watched the movies after I "FINALLY" finished each one. While we still have the last two movies to watch, the stories are now history. But I'm happy these books became such a beloved part of my kiddo's childhood. Hopefully my kindergartner will choose to delve into them before too long, as well.
Today was "Dress Like a Super Hero Day" at my sons' elementary school. I volunteered during the lunch hour, and as I watched the sea of kids in Batman and Superman capes, I had to fight back the waterworks again as I spotted my kid, the only one wearing a Hogwarts robe and a Gryffindor tie.

No comments:
Post a Comment