Dear Evan,
It's the eve of your fifth birthday, and I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the boy you've become since you came into the world so dramatically one fine March morning in 2009, a morning that seems like yesterday and another lifetime ago, all wrapped in one.
I guess I could sit here and talk about your quiet and unassuming nature--how you're a soft-spoken old soul who sits back to take in the world around him.
How you enjoy peace and quiet.
How you go with the flow and don't let setbacks get you down.
How you're still a bit afraid to speak your mind.
How you are shy around friends and don't like attention.
How you don't like to leave my side.
How you're an obedient rule-follower, just like your mom, dad, and brother.
How you love experimenting with new foods.
I could say all of these things.
And they would all be lies. Every last one of them.
Because, Evan, when it comes down to it, you're special because you're you. You are boisterous, fun-loving, friendly, picky, outgoing, outspoken, strong-willed, and at times, hard to please. Sometimes we butt heads (literally), and sometimes we argue, and we don't always see eye to eye. But that hasn't changed one thing: how much I love and adore you. Your liveliness, your creativity, your goofiness, your sense of fun and adventure: these are the things that make you unique and make you liked by so many (as evidenced by the nearly 60 people at your birthday party this past weekend).
You may run wild with your friends, like Al and Naomi, but you're equally happy sitting and making Perler bead creations for hours at a time. You have loved playing in your first season of baseball and all the energy it entails. But you've also recently discovered a true love of Legos and can entertain yourself with tiny-blocked worlds of your own imagination. You often yell at your brother, but no one else gets the kinds of hugs and cuddles that Nathan does. You're frequently willing to sit down to a board game with me--even ones that are somewhat above your level like Uno, Trouble, and Yahtzee. You especially like it when you win. OK--you only like it when you win.
You've made 23 fantastic friends in Fun for Fours preschool this year, and it will be awesome to see them all on the first day of kindergarten in August. You've been to numerous birthday parties, lots of park play dates, and even ran the Final Mile of the Santa Clarita Marathon with your classmates (you totally left me in the dust). You start each day by charging into the classroom to get your name tag and sit on your colored circle. You're always happy to be there. And while you sometimes give your dear old mom a hard time, you're an obedient listener and active learner at school, and you like to stand up for what's right and fair.
Recently I went back to work part-time, so you've had some extra time with Grandma T, Papa, and Uncle Matt some afternoons. You've discovered a love of chocolate-chip bagels and hikes in the brush--Grandma T gets her exercise when you're around.
Admittedly, I've spent probably too much time mourning the loss of my "baby," and wishing the "big kid" would wait just a little bit longer before he's here to stay. But that's not helpful. Because, when it comes down to it, I think you're ready to be five, Evan. You're ready for kindergarten in a few months. You're ready for all the challenges life has to offer. I just hope I can be the best mom and role-model I can be for you as we navigate this second half of your first decade together. And I hope that at least on occasion, you'll still let me hold your hand.
Happy birthday, sweetie.
I love you.
Now go get 'em.
No comments:
Post a Comment