Thursday, April 15, 2010

Goodbye, my friend


I like weird stuff. Do you like weird stuff? I mean, sure, there are things almost all of us like. Christmas. Cookies. Betty White. But then there are things that not necessarily everyone likes. But I do. Things like (in no particular order) prunes, pirates, unintentionally funny bad English grammar, rain, mushy cereal, TV shows about ghosts (this could be a post in itself...probably will someday), my baby's jammies with the feet that look like dog heads, addressing Christmas cards, and clipping coupons (even if I forget to use them). And up until today, included in the list was GemsTV. About a year-and-a-half ago, I discovered GemsTV in the middle of the night while suffering from pregnancy-induced insomnia. It's one of those home shopping channels that sells all sorts of pretty jewelry--all the livelong day. I don't know why, because I don't purchase jewelry all that often, but I instantly found this channel comforting, entertaining, and just a little bit addicting. There was just something about seeing one sparkly bauble after another come on the screen that had me mesmerized, at least for a few minutes at a time. Oh, one weird thing? I never ordered anything. Well, at least, not until today. For whatever reason, today was the last day GemsTV was on the air. They had a big "going out in style" sale, and ::poof:: all the pretty baubles were gone. I'm sure Brendan was relieved that I decided to order a simple silver necklace rather than those tanzanite and diamond rings that always had me drooling. I guess I just wanted to say "thank you" to GemsTV for being a guilty pleasure for me these last couple of years. Er...um...and I guess I kind of wanted to take advantage of their clearance prices and treat myself to something shiny. I no longer suffer from insomnia. Having a baby wake you up several times a night will do that. But if I ever do find myself wide awake at 2:00 a.m. without a child to care for, it will be with a heavy heart that I watch that shampoo infomercial with Melissa Gilbert instead.

2 comments:

  1. I think I kinda get it. I sorta enjoy watching infomercials for workout programs and products for some reason. What's strange is that most of the time I watch them I'm just scoffing at how superficial and phony all the people on them are. The best/worst are the P-90X commercials. Or as I like to call them, D-90X, the D standing for "douche," because most of the people who appear on the program seem to be complete douchebags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't say I will miss GemsTV as much as you, but I'm sad to see it go... for your sake. :)

    One more thing: you really are one fantastic writer! We really, *really* need to put these powers to good use!

    ReplyDelete

Map of my Blog's Visitors